Thursday 25 September 2008

Alright Guvnor!!

Where do I start??

I went to the meeting last night after praying really hard about whether this is what God wants me to do and just asked for wisdom if offered the position. Well, it obviously was as I was introduced straight away with my friends husband as the 2 'new governors' and welcomed into the meeting straight away. What an enormous amount of paperwork it is! I did wonder what I was getting myself into but Father Ed and Mrs Anderson the Headmistress are so passionate about making this small underprivileged school shine that there was no doubt in my mind that it was the right thing to do. Basically, the area in which the school mainly serves was originally built in Victorian times for the servants of the wealthy living in the richer parts of town. The area was given its own church....a shed ontop of the building rubble when the larger houses had been built as it was thought the servants might like their own place of worship. Anyway, this is how the area has stayed, as Father Ed calls it, the towns dirty little secret! As it is an area without money there are alot of immigrants who live here so this means the stats of the school are low as about 68% of the school has English as their second language which actually means nothing as the Value added score (how much the children have improved) was the highest in our area, and a staggering 70 odd % have had no pre school education. That is now changing as the Head and Father Ed have opened a pre school which is more affordable to the surrounding parents and is currently serving 48 children and is nearly to capacity. Gosh, I am now rambling, this did all start with the fact that I am now a Governor and quite what that entails I am not sure as I have only been to the opening meeting but at least I am a set of ears in the playground also and I have a vested interest in the school as all my children will attend. This will be an ongoing subject I should imagine.
As for the rest of it, I went to WW and and only half a pound of the weight I started at originally so back to point counting as I want to lose it by Christmas. The girls still aren't sleeping unless drugged and last night Jim Jam woke up anyway so not sure what to do and the docs aren't that helpful and they just say they will grow out of it.....well I know that!
Mabel is great and going to training tonight, could be fun. I've been given a bit more responsibility at work as I am now in charge of membership too which will be another hour every couple of weeks. The card selling is going pretty well considering I have paid it no attention at all and I am pretty much now the school rep for that. Bubbs and Hubby are going on a church camping trip on friday night and I am having a girls night in to watch 27 Dresses......

Could babble on for ages but need to get girlies back up and do the school run.
Hope this all makes sense. I will be blogging a bit less now but will still try to read and comment on my favs
xx

8 comments:

Anne Elizabeth said...

That is great that you got the Governor position. You'll have to tell me more about what your duties will be.

If 68% have English as their second language, what is their first. Here it is predominately Spanish. When I was growing up it was so different. The area was predominately African American and Italian.
Now it has had a HUGE influx of Hispanic people. When I went to grocery store the other day everything was in Spanish first and English second. Some of the normally English products were in Spanish only. It was really weird for me because it was so different from when I was a kid.

I feel for you have two that don't sleep. It has been a challenge since birth to get Pink to sleep. She is almost 3 and half and she still hates sleeping. Even when she is sick she doesn't want to sleep. I need sleep so it has been really frustrating.

Living the Dream said...

My daughter the school governor. I can't believe it. You are certainly going to have a lot to keep you occupied and you're right, this is where you are supposed to be, I know you are going to help make such a difference to the school. You are going to make your boy so proud, not to mention me and your dead. I love you. God bless. Moomin xx

Anonymous said...

Yay for you! Well, as if you weren't busy enough! ;) I am sure you will do a fabulous job. And you will be more involved in Bubbs' schooling too.

Grace Acres said...

Wow and I thought I had a lot on my plate, you sound overwhelmed but looks like you are setting priorities and you'll do great. Good Luck!

Joy said...

Busy bees!!! But I think being busy is better than the opposite!!! GOOD FOR YOU! I cannot wait to see what exciting things are to come!

I love 27 Dresses!

Rachel's Journal Pages said...

You're certainly not short of things to do to fill your time :) Hope that you keep your head clear and un-cluttered as possible with all the responsibility.

Ris said...

Congratulations! That is awesome that you will be able to make an impact at his school. Good luck with WW, my goal is Hubby's Christmas party too, so we shall see. I haven't seen 27 Dresses, but want to!

Maynard Tait said...

Excellent - who's the Guvn'r - YOU ARE!

Well done, Vix.

M&J